Research by Marjorie Gregson
Johnson Jackson was born in Worsley, Lancashire to James Jackson and his wife, Mary. James was a stonemason and quarry owner. In 1901 the family was living in the Quarry Master’s House in Plodder Lane, Bolton, and Johnson and two of his siblings were employed there.
In 1902 Johnson married Margaret Green in Bolton. Their daughter, Minnie Margaret, was born in Bolton in 1913.
Street records of 1924 show them living in Glen Eldon Road, St Annes on Sea and by 1934 on North Promenade. The 1939 Register gave his occupation as a retired quarry owner. His final address was Clifton Drive North, Lytham St Annes.
Johnson died in 1944 in Christies Hospital, Manchester, and his death was reported in the Liverpool Daily Post of 26 September 1944. Margaret died in a Bolton Nursing Home in 1946.
Alfred Augustus Glendening Jr 1861-1907
The Village Postman
oil on canvas
76.2 x 50.8 cm (30 x 20 in)
acc no 158
gift from Mr J Jackson
469 Clifton Drive North, Lytham St Annes
20 March 1944