Helen Cowley Davis
Research by Marjorie Gregson
The donor was born Helen Cowley Smethurst in Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire in 1901 to John and Mary Cowley Smethurst. Her father held the position of Secretary to the Federation of Cotton Employers Associations.
In the 1911 census the family, including her brother, Arthur Kelsall Smethurst, was living in Ansdell Road, Lytham and by 1929 in Links View, St Annes on Sea.
Helen married Kenneth Douglas Cornelius Davis at the Methodist Church, Clifton Drive, Fairhaven in 1929. His parents were Cornelius and Lydia Davis. Kenneth was born in Wiltshire in 1900 but had lived in Colne, Lancashire, prior to moving to live in Oxford Road, Ansdell, when his father became the minister of the Baptist Church in Ansdell. As a young man Kenneth had served in the Royal Flying Corps.
In the 1939 register Helen and Kenneth were living in Grange Avenue, Cheadle Hulme, the address of the donation, and at this time Kenneth's occupation was described as bank clerk.
They later returned to the Fylde, living in Ripon Road, Ansdell. Kenneth died in 1979 and Helen in 1983.
Walter Eastwood 1867-1943
Gillett's "Cross Slack" Farm,
St Annes on Sea
acc no 68
26.7 x 36.2 cm (10.5 x 14.3 in)
gift from Mrs Helen Cowley Davis
58 Grange Avenue, Cheadle Hulme, Manchester
19 December 1955