Interior of a Chapel
Research by Marjorie Gregson and
Picture Description by Sue Cannon
Acc No 123
Artist Harold Partington
Artist dates 1852-1928
Size 14.5 X 10.5 in (36.83 x 26.27 cm)
Date painted Unknown
Donor Unknown acquisition method
Date donated Unknown
We are looking into a corner of what is possibly Cartmel Priory, built in the 12th century. This is not the formality of a church which we would normally see but a personal invitation to peek inside the sacristy where the priest would prepare to don his vestments in preparation for the coming service.
When we look into the composition we are immediately drawn to the vaulting arches and corner window which is the light source for the scene.
The column at the left edge of the canvas holds the eye and adds weight and balance to the special atmosphere. At the same time it leads our eye down to the old wooden pew just below the window creating three dimensional space in an otherwise flat composition. Steps invite our eyes to the open door and inner sanctum. There we can just see leaded windows and a bench, which adds a sense of deep space within as well as emphasising some human activity in an otherwise still, calm and empty picture.
The inner architecture of the tall window confirms we are in a “House of God”. This is endorsed by the memorial plaques on the back wall, possibly recalling a local benefactor or a local family’s army captain husband or son who lost his life in battle. The subtle use of blues to yellow and white washes add to this cool, peaceful and spacious scene.
ARTIST Click Here